Learn to Swim under Alert Level 2
When Auckland moves to Alert Level 2 on 31 August 2020, our Learn to Swim programme will look a bit different based on recommendations from Swimming NZ, so please read on so you are fully prepared for your return to the pool........
How will it look different?
The biggest difference is that our teachers will no longer be in the water - given they come into contact with hundreds of children a week, this is the safest way to stop bubbles from mixing. Instructors are fully trained to teach from poolside and are prepared to be in the water if required.
If a child is pre-school level or younger, a parent or caregiver will need to be in the pool with them in place of the teacher - and we will need the parent/caregiver's help with keeping a social distance between children. If you're worried about jumping in to the pool, don't worry - our teachers will help you out and give you tips and tricks from the side of the pool and via email.
Our lessons will also have a big focus on water safety and survival skills.
What's the benefit of this new structure?
As well as making sure we are doing our bit to adhere to social distancing and hygiene rules under Alert Level 2, we feel that this new structure will increase swimmers' confidence and independence in the water. And, having solid water safety and survival skills is essential for any New Zealander coming into warmer weather, given our little country is surrounded by water!
Is there anything else I need to know?
Yes! There are some other protocols in place to assure that we are keeping our customers and staff safe during Alert Level 2. These are:
- if possible, please arrive no more than five minutes before your lesson time - this helps with overcrowding
- there will be limited access to changing rooms, so please arrive prepared to swim and shower at home (if possible)
- don't enter the pool until your teacher has given the all-clear for you to do so
- we are unable to offer loan goggles or caps, so we suggest you double-check your bags before you leave home!
- only one parent/caregiver to attend a lesson per bubble. This prevents overcrowding and a potential breach of social distancing
- equipment WILL be used during classes like before, and we will disinfect these between each class
- during the changeover time between lessons, please ensure you are keeping a social distance from staff and other customers
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact your Swim School.
We look forward to seeing you back in the water from 31 August 2020!